Sunday, July 6, 2008

It's a Blogging World

This morning in Flagstaff, Arizona, it rained. Rain may not be a big deal in your part of the world, but here it is cause for celebration. Since it stopped snowing, precipitation as been practically non-existent. So, when it started raining, I grabbed the camera and headed to the deck. I only got three photos before the blowing rain stopped my little adventure.

Why, you ask am I telling this story on a blog about lifelong learning? It's all about what I did with those photographs, using the tools independent learners have at their finger tips.

First of all, I don't have a really expensive camera, just my trusty little Olympus. It did come with a USB cable so that I can just connect the camera to my computer and immediately upload my pics.

And that's just what I did this morning. Then, I logged on and opened a new post on The Coconino Chronicles, my blog about Flagstaff and Northern Arizona. Within that post I was able to click an icon and upload those three pictures. I wrote some suitable comments about the rain and added an apology for my "rain celebration" to the local farmer's market and gave them a little nod with a link to their website. Within minutes, I published that post. Instantaneously, it was available around the world.

Of course, when I finished I just had to go find my partner in lifelong learning and wax eloquent about the amazing resources we have access to. That led to bemoaning the fact that I couldn't come up with an idea of where I might submit an article about the opportunities blogging opens up to us. The response immediately was, "Why aren't you writing a post for The Everyday Scholar? That's the best place to publish it." That was truly a "what was I thinking" moment. So here I am, within minutes, posting this article.

If you don't already have a blog, I strongly encourage you to give it a try. You have a choice of many free or almost free blog hosts. I have only used Google Blogger and I love it. But, I know a lot of bloggers who prefer TypePad or WordPress. No matter which one you choose, just jump in and start your blog.

For me, a journal for a lifelong learning project is just the perfect use of a blog, whether you choose to make it public or not. When you try it you'll understand. It allows you to hone your writing skills, to follow your creative urges and to keep a record of what you are learning. We definitely will revisit this subject later. Another great addition to the learning toolbox.

No comments: