Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Writing to Learn

William K. Zinsser's book, Writing to Learn, is one of my favorites. Of course, you probably already know that I have many favorite books. But, really this is an exceptional book.

It offers a lot of food for thought for the lifelong learner. We are always looks for ways to reinforce our learning or measure what we have acquired from a given resource. His suggestions on writing to learn are very applicable to our needs.

And on top of that, he is just plain fun to read. And you immediately sense his admiration for writers across many subject areas, like science and math.

Just a bit about his background--He started out at the New York Herald Tribune, he's taught at Yale, and at the New School, in New York and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.

I just wish he would do an updated, expanded version. I was sorry when I finished this book and have re-read it many times.

No comments: